If there was an award for the best chicken gravy, we Indians would definitely give it to butter chicken. According to a fact, Butter Chicken or Murgh makhani as it is known in Hindi, was accidentally originated by an Indian restaurant in Delhi. Who knew an accidental chicken dish would turn out to be the most loved recipe from the Indian cuisine across the world..!!
With a base of tomato gravy, it tastes buttery, sweet and mildly spicy. After spending hours of googling how to make butter chicken, I found a billion recipes. And after a lot of modifications and variations and trials and errors, I found my version of it, whch is simple, quick and tasty just like every other recipe on just lazy food.
(For chicken marination)
Chicken- 1/2kg boneless
Garam masala powder- 1 tsp
Chicken masala powder- 2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Red chilli powder- 2 tsp
Lemon juice- 2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste- 2 tbsp
Cooking oil- 1 tbsp
Butter- 2 tbsp
Tomatoes- 3 large sized or tomato puree
Fresh cream- 100g
Soaked almonds or cashews- 50g
Sugar- 2 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Red chili powder- 2 tsp
Green chilies- 2-3 slit
Garam masala powder- 2 tsp
Coriander leaves for garnishing
Cream for garnishing
Marinate the chicken with ginger garlic paste, garam masala powder, chicken masala powder, Salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, curd, lemon juice and cooking oil. Make sure there’s no excess water in it. For that use the thicker part of the curd and remove excess water from the chicken after washing it by draining and drying it completely. Allow it to rest for a minimum of 2-3 hours or refrigerating it overnight would work the best.
Butter chicken gravy
- Blend the tomatoes to form a smooth puree or you can also use canned tomato puree.
- If you choose to use almonds, remember to soak it in water for an hour at least before using it or else you can also use cashews. Grind or cashews to make a smooth paste. You can add a little milk or water to improve it’s consistency.
- Heat butter in a deep pan or a vessel in which you wish to cook butter chicken. Add the green chilies and ginger garlic paste to it. Allow it to sauté for a few seconds.
- Now, add the tomato puree to it and allow it to simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
- When the tomato puree has been done, you can add the almond/cashew paste to it. Add a little water to make it consistent. Adding no water would also be fine. Let it cook for another minute.
- Add the marinated chicken to the gravy and mix it well along with the gravy. Allow the chicken to cook without covering it with a lid if you want the gravy to be thick. It might take around 15-20 minutes for the chicken to be cooked depending on it’s quantity.
- When the chicken is 90% done, add cream and let it cook for 5-7 more minutes. Take it off the stove and garnish it with some fresh coriander leaves and cream.
Serve hot with naan or parathas.