Coxinha is a Latin American street food. It’s delicious taste and appearance has made it popular across nations. If we were to go by it’s name it is not as difficult to make as it is to pronounce ‘coxinha’. Also, as a Just Lazy Food recipe, A tad bit of variations have been done to make it as simple and authentic as it can be.
- Potatoes- 3-4 (boiled)
- Flour for the dough
- Chicken- 500g (boiled and shredded)
- Cream cheese- 200g
- Garlic- 3-4 cloves
- Onion- 1 small sized and finely chopped
- Cooking oil for saute and deep frying
- Chicken broth- 150ml or 1 cup
- Chicken cube- 1
- Breadcrumbs for coating coxinha
Preparing the dough-
- Boil the chicken in the same cooker along with peeled potatoes. Smash the boiled potatoes in a tray and add salt, pepper and flour. Flour can be used in equal or lesser portion than the potatoes. Form a smooth dough out of it. Water shouldn’t be required but you can use it in a small amount if necessary or you can also use the chicken broth prepared instead of water. Do not overuse water or the dough might become too soft to roll and fill the stuffings.
- Form balls out of the dough prepared and roll out using a rolling pin or you can also flatten it using your palms so that it’s big enough to hold the stuffing.
Preparing the stuffing-
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add garlic and onions to it. Allow it to saute for a while until the onions turn transparent.
- Now, add the shredded chicken to it along with some chicken broth. Also add the chicken cube, salt and pepper. Stir it and allow it to cook for 3-5 minutes till the water almost evaporates.
- Now add cream cheese to it and mix it up well with all other ingredients and cook for a few more minutes. Set the mixture aside to cool down before stuffing it into the coxinha.
- After the stuffing has been cooled down, fill it in the center of each dough and fold the sides of it to form a modak shape or simply the shape of a tear.
- Repeat the process for all the coxinha. Now apply some water on to the coxinha with slightly wet hands. Just a little bit of water so that the breadcrumbs can stick to it and remain crispy after frying.
- Apply breadcrumbs on it and deep fry them till they turn golden brown. And there it is.. your Brazilian snack food is ready.!!!